KHN’s ‘What the Well being?’: As Circumstances Spike, White Home Declares Pandemic Over
What The Well being? · As COVID Circumstances Spike, White Home Declares Pandemic Over
Can’t see the audio participant? Click on right here to hear on SoundCloud.
White Home chief of workers Mark Meadows stated this week that “we’re not going to manage the pandemic,” successfully conceding that the administration has pivoted from prevention to therapy. However COVID-19 circumstances are rising quickly in a lot of the nation, and the problem is taking part in massive within the presidential marketing campaign. President Donald Trump is complaining concerning the fixed information experiences concerning the virus, prompting former President Barack Obama to say Trump is “jealous of COVID’s media protection.”
In the meantime, because the case difficult the constitutionality of the Inexpensive Care Act heads to the Supreme Courtroom on Nov. 10, open enrollment for particular person medical insurance underneath the legislation begins Sunday.
This week’s panelists are Julie Rovner of Kaiser Well being Information, Joanne Kenen of Politico, Tami Luhby of CNN and Anna Edney of Bloomberg Information.
Among the many takeaways from this week’s podcast:
- Whichever candidate wins the presidency subsequent week could have a heavy raise in mounting a robust public response to battle COVID-19. Polls recommend a couple of third of individuals don’t consider among the primary science concerning the virus or its prevention, similar to that utilizing masks will help stem transmission.
- Dr. Scott Gottlieb, who as soon as served as Meals and Drug Administration commissioner underneath Trump, referred to as for a brief nationwide masks mandate in his column in The Wall Avenue Journal. He prompt that masks shouldn’t be a political difficulty.
- Gottlieb’s column has been supported by different commentators who recommend that masks must turn out to be a social and cultural norm and examine the controversy over their use to comparable debates previously about seat belts, smoking bans and harsh punishments for driving whereas intoxicated. These measures all confronted opposition from individuals who complained about civil liberties however regularly turned accepted. The distinction now’s that public well being advocates are in search of a fast acceptance of masks.
- A part of the resistance to carrying face masks is that many individuals don’t perceive their objective and presume masks are for their very own safety. However public well being officers advocate masks as a method to defend others, particularly susceptible individuals, from any virus a masks wearer would possibly shed, usually with out even realizing it.
- Drugmakers and well being specialists are rolling again expectations concerning the timing of a COVID vaccine because the trials search extra information. One difficulty could also be that not sufficient individuals within the placebo teams have contracted the coronavirus. That may very well be as a result of individuals who volunteer for such an endeavor could also be extra conscious of well being points and cautious concerning the illness.
- As soon as a vaccine is permitted, FDA and different federal well being officers will face a lot of complicating points. Amongst them: How ought to trials of different vaccine candidates proceed and the way ought to the vaccine be distributed?
- Enrollment for insurance policy on the Inexpensive Care Act’s marketplaces begins Sunday, however many shoppers may very well be forgiven for not figuring out that. There’s valuable little advertising or promoting for the plans, and a few individuals suppose the Supreme Courtroom goes to overturn the ACA, anyway, and its plans will go away. That’s not identified but and it could be summer time 2021 earlier than there’s a solution on that.
Additionally this week, Rovner interviews KHN’s Anna Almendrala, who reported the most recent NPR-KHN “Invoice of the Month” installment, a couple of affected person who did all the things proper and received an enormous invoice anyway. You probably have an outrageous medical invoice you want to share with us, you are able to do that right here.
Plus, for additional credit score, the panelists suggest their favourite well being coverage tales of the week they suppose it’s best to learn, too:
Julie Rovner: The New York Occasions’ “A Probability to Broaden Medicaid Rallies Democrats in Essential North Carolina,” by Abby Goodnough
Joanne Kenen: The New Yorker’s “A President Seems Again on His Hardest Battle,” by Barack Obama
Tami Luhby: KHN’s “Florida Fails to Appeal to Bidders for Canada Drug Importation Program,” by Phil Galewitz
Anna Edney: The Wall Avenue Journal’s “Well being Company Halts Coronavirus Advert Marketing campaign, Leaving Santa Claus within the Chilly,” by Julie Wernau, James V. Grimaldi and Stephanie Armour
To listen to all our podcasts, click on right here.
And subscribe to What the Well being? on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, Spotify, or Pocket Casts.